Don’t know what to do with your Visa gift card?
You can think of Visa gift cards as prepaid debit cards. The purchaser already paid for the balance and sent the card to the recipient. You can spend the balance everywhere Visa debit cards are accepted. But you can’t withdraw the balance at an ATM.
So how do you know the balance on a Visa gift card? There are different ways to check the balance before using it. Some options include checking the balance online, calling a toll-free number, or at the cash register. But before you can check the balance, you need to activate the gift card first.
How To Activate Visa Gift Card
Whether you purchased a Visa gift card or you received one, you’ll need to activate it before you can use it for any transaction. Most Visa gift cards are activated upon purchase. You’ll be given an activation slip then your gift cards will be ready to use.
But if you purchased the gift cards online, they’ll require activation. Here’s how:
Activate The Visa Gift Card Over The Phone
- Look for a sticker with instructions. Or call the toll-free phone number at the back of your gift card.
- Follow the necessary button prompts to activate your gift card.
- You’ll need to provide your gift card’s account number and card verification number (CVN)
- If you want to talk to customer service instead, try to press “0” on your phone. This option usually redirects you to a customer service staff.
Another option is to contact Visa directly. In doing so, you can ask any questions you have while activating your card. You can find the customer service number at the back of your Visa gift card.
Activate The Visa Gift Card Online
- Go to the activation link on the back of your gift card or the sticker with instructions.
- If you bought it from a third-party vendor, the vendor’s website should contain an activation link.
- Tap the “Activate Card” option.
- On the Account Creation page, you’ll need to enter the gift card information. This includes the 16-digit number, expiration date, and CVN.
- You’ll also need to enter your full name, address, date of birth, and other details.
- Tap the “Submit” button.
- Lastly, you’ll be notified when the gift card has been activated.
In most cases, providing your information is a legal requirement. When making a purchase using your activated Visa gift card, they will check the name and address you entered and will compare it to the card’s information. If they don’t match, you won’t be able to complete your transaction.
Most importantly, be careful with fake websites and scams. Double-check the security of the website where you’ll be registering your card information. That said, only register or activate your Visa gift cards with Visa or the vendor where the gift cards are bought.
Where and How To Use Your Visa Gift Card
You can use your gift card wherever Visa debit cards are accepted, whether in the supermarket, gas station or even online. You can purchase items up to the total balance on the gift card.
If you’re in a store where debit cards are accepted, just slide or insert your Visa gift card to pay.
When using it online:
- Select the debit/credit card option
- Choose the Visa card for payment
- Enter your personal information—the one you used to register your gift card.
- Lastly, enter the gift card’s 16-digit number as well as the expiration date and security code.
List Of Visa Gift Cards Where You Can Check Your Card’s Balance Online
Before making a purchase, check your Visa gift card balance first. You can do this using the toll-free number on the back of your gift card. Simply follow the prompts.
But if this seems like too much of a hassle, you can always check your gift card balance online.
Here are some of the websites where you can check your card’s balance:
To check the balance, you’ll need to provide your gift card information. This includes the card number, expiration date, and security code.
How To Check Your Visa Gift Card Balance
Verify Via Phone or Online
To check tour Visa gift cards’ balance, you can follow the same steps as you would when activating them. Either look at the instructions on the sticker on the front of your card. Or look for the toll-free customer service number on the back of the card.
Simply call the number listed and provide your card number and your security code.
Verify At The Cash Register
You can also check the balance on a Visa gift card at the cash register. Some retailers can check it for you. Here are some retail stores that can check your balance:
- Abercrombie & Fitch
- Barnes & Noble
Once you’ve activated and confirmed the balance, you can then use the card everywhere Visa debit cards are accepted.
Where Can You Buy The Best Gift Card?
- CardKangaroo: You can purchase discounted gift cards of up to 35%. They also have gift cards from a wide variety of retail stores, restaurants, and entertainment.
- Moolala: This is a digital electronic gift card marketplace. They are known for their daily deals offer. Keep checking daily to find excellent deals.
- Groupon: They also offer daily discounts that they usually spread through email. You can use the virtual coupons to get daily deals of up to 70% off of different items, including gift cards.
- CardCash: This website offers discounted gift cards from hundreds of merchants. Their discounts go as high as 35%, which is considerably higher than others.
- GiftCards.com: This is another great marketplace to buy gift cards at a discount. They offer discounts of up to 35% on selected cards. They have gift cards from more than 100 retailers, including Target, Walmart, and Visa.
What To Do If Your Gift Card Is Lost or Stolen?
- Immediately report the lost or stolen Visa gift card to the card issuer. Call the toll-free number listed on the issuer’s website. If you still have the card documentation, you can find the number there as well.
- You’ll need to provide the lost or stolen gift card number to cancel or replace the card.
That said, it’s a reasonable safety precaution to register your card immediately. Some card issuers will not replace unregistered Visa gift cards.
Is There A Balance Limit For A Visa Gift Card?
The card issuer usually determines the maximum amount of money that a gift card can hold.
What To Do If Your Visa Gift Card Was Declined?
- Check the balance of the gift card before making a purchase.
- If your purchase was declined, even if you have sufficient funds, contact the card issuer. Use the toll-free number listed on the back of the gift card.
You can treat a Visa gift card like prepaid debit cards. It can be used in any retail store, grocery, gas station, or merchant store that accepts Visa. But, unlike prepaid debit cards, Visa gift cards can’t be topped up a second time.
That said, before going shopping, it’s best to check your balance. You can either call the toll-free number or visit the official website of the card issuer. There are also other websites where you can check the balance as well as check the transaction history.